Welcome to the Stoic Coffee Break Podcast!
I’m excited to announce the launch of the Stoic Coffee House, a community built around the teachings of stoicism and the Stoic Coffee Break podcast.
I’m so excited to turn our one-way conversation into a lively discussion about ideas that have changed my life. I know that these ideas are powerful, but the real power comes from the people who decide to embrace personal responsibility for themselves, and communal responsibility for the societies that they live in. Come help us turn the Stoic Coffee House into a global movement that can help bring more good to the world through reason, compassion, and service.
I’ve also opened the Stoic Coffee Shop where you can pick up some awesome looking shirts and hoodies with some of my favorite quotes and of course the Stoic Coffee Break logo. Look good while supporting your favorite podcast. 😉
If you like the podcast, it would be awesome if you helped support Stoic Coffee Break on Patron!
If you have a topic you’d like me to address on an episode, you can drop me line here.
Thanks for stopping in!
— Erick Cloward
Amor Fati, Amor Coffee!
Listen to more episodes:
- 208 – Radical Candor“It never ceases to amaze me: we all love ourselves more than other people, but care more about their opinion than our own.” – Marcus Aurelius Are you afraid to tell others what you really think or how you really feel? In this episode I want to talk about the idea of radical candor, and how committing to being honest about what you think and feel is one of the most challenging but rewarding things you can do.
- 207 – ResistanceDon’t demand or expect that events happen as you would wish them to. Accept events as they actually happen. That way peace is possible. — Epictetus What if you stopped resisting what life brought your way? What if you could cheerfully accept everything that came your way? How would that change the way you showed up in the world? This week I want to talk about the importance of dealing with what is, and not what we think it should be.
- 206 – The Long RideThe greater the difficulty, the more glory in surmounting it. Skillful pilots gain their reputation from storms and tempests. — Epictetus Do you think that life is meant to be comfortable? Do you make choices in your life to take the easy path and avoid discomfort? If so, then you may not be living a life as full as you could.
- 205 – Two Sides of the Same Coin“Some things are within our power, while others are not. Within our power are opinion, motivation, desire, aversion, and, in a word, whatever is of our own doing; not within our power are our body, our property, reputation, office, and, in a word, whatever is not of our own doing.” — Epictetus One topic that I revisit on the podcast repeatedly is how important it is to control the things that we can’ and let go of the things that we can’t. For me, this is one of the most important lessons we can learn in our lives. In this episode, I want to talk about how we be more mindful of what we can, and what we cannot control.
- 204 – Blame and Responsibility“If change is forced upon you, you must resist the temptation to overreact or feel sorry for yourself.” — Robert Greene How often do you feel that life is unfair? That something happened that you think should not have happened to you? Maybe someone hurt you and you want them to fix it? In this episode, I want to talk about blame and responsibility.